The Zurich Marató Barcelona is organized by a Promotion Committee made up of four institutions and entities: The City of Barcelona, the Marató de Barcelona Platform, the Catalan Athletics Federation and Barcelona Tourism. The event is coordinated by the Institut Barcelona Esports, and its Executive Organization is carried out by ASO (Amaury Sport Organization) and RPM MKTG. In addition to that, the Zurich Marató Barcelona Senate, a consultative body made up of 24 renowned figures in the world of athletics and the organization of sporting events in Catalunya, will act as an observer of the race and of its organization. The event will take place on Sunday, in a fully urban route.
The race is 42,195Km long and is certified by the Catalan Athletics federation through an authorized IAAF commissioner. In the same way, the marathon is under the IAAF road racing regulations. Judges of the RFEA and the FCA will ensure full compliance with the regulations.
The race is open to athletes of any nationality, federated or not. In any case, you must be 18 years old on the day of the race. According to the regulations of the RFEA, there will be different classifications, both in male and female categories, according to the year of birth. Each runner participates in the marathon under his/her own responsibility and must present sufficient physical condition to face the race. Participation in ways that do not correspond to this athletics event such as skates, bicycles, electric wheelchairs or handbikes, among others is not allowed.
The race counts with three sports categories for disabilities: wheelchair, visual disability and intellectual disability.
All visual disability people, who want to participate in the race, must register online (in the official website) and they will be the first ones in the start line. To get into the classifications and into the visual disability awards, they must send an email with a copy of the disability card attached to email@example.com right after registering via online. The guides will run without a chip and must be properly identified and registered. To do so, they have to send all their personal information such as: name, surname, DNI or Passport number, date of birth, phone number and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
All intellectual disability people who want to participate in the race must register online (in the official website). To get into the classifications and into the intellectual disability awards, they must send an email to email@example.com with the copy of the disability card attached right after registering via online.
All people who participate with wheelchair or with the running trolley, must register online (in the official website) and they must be in the start line one hour before the race starts. It's mandatory to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after registering in the website.
The awards for the wheelchairs, visual disabilities and intellectual disabilities categories will always take place as soon as a minimum of 3 athletes complete the race, whether they are men or women. Prizes will be awarded on the same day of the race. You must address yourself to the podium area once the race is finished to find out the first, second and third position.
The arbitrator designated by the RFEA will have the final decision before any binding aspect of the race. Judges and auxiliary commissioners of the FCA will support this person. According to the procedure of the IAAF, from the Km 5 and every 5 Km there will be a water station point, as well as in the arrival. Times will be taken in the passage of the half marathon and at the finish line. It is established a maximum time of 6h to complete the race. After this time, the participants who have not finished will be able to continue following the highway code and under their own responsibility.
Zurich Marató Barcelona will be considered as
the Catalonian University Marathon Championship. Participants wishing to be
part of the University ranking must sign up normally, and subsequently contact
the sports department of their university.
The registration to the Zurich Marató Barcelona is personal and non-transferable and implies the acceptance of this regulation. Under no circumstances may be transferred or sold to another person, friend or family, even if the participant is not able to attend the race. Any breach of this condition may invalidate your participation in the event and the organization reserves itself the right to exclude you from participating in future events.
The organization of the Zurich Marató Barcelona will not refund the registration fee due to injury and/or any illness either before, during or after the race, or for any reason unrelated to it. Under no circumstances may registration be saved for future editions.
The bibs must be picked up during at the Expo Sports, that will take place on Friday and Saturday before the race day. You will need to present the e-mail with your bib number and an official identification document. The race bib must be prominently displayed on the front of the trunk during the entire race. The race bibs incorporate the chip in the form of a strip on the back of the number, so it cannot be bent or manipulated. Failure to collect the race bib and runner's bag under the established terms means the waiver thereof. There will not be any race bibs collection on race day.
After removing the number in the place indicated by the organization, the shirt will be collected in the same fair by strict order of arrival, until the end of the existence of the size. The organization can not guarantee the size because the order and the manufacture of t-shirts is done before the closing of registrations.
The organization will have a civil liability insurance policy according to current legislation. All participants will be covered by an accident insurance policy according to Royal Decree 849/1993, of June 4, which determines the minimum benefits of the Mandatory Sports Insurance:
- Medical-surgical and sanatorial assistance in accidents occurring in the national territory, without limits of expenses, and with a temporary limit of up to eighteen months from the date of the accident.
- Pharmaceutical assistance in a hospital regime, with no limit on expenses, and with a time limit of eighteen months from the date of the accident.
- Assistance in the hospital regime, the costs of prosthesis and osteosynthesis material, in its entirety, and with a time limit of eighteen months from the date of the accident.
- Expenses incurred for rehabilitation during the period of eighteen months from the date of the accident.
- Medical-surgical, pharmaceutical and sanitary assistance in accidents occurring abroad, up to a limit, for all concepts, of 6,000 euros and with a time limit of up to eighteen months from the date of the accident. This benefit is compatible with compensation for anatomical or functional losses, caused by sports accidents, which are granted at the end of the treatment.
- Compensation for anatomical or functional losses caused by sports accidents, with a minimum, for the large disabled (tetraplegia), of 12.020,24 euros.
- Assistance to death, when it occurs as a result of accident in sports, for an amount of not less than 6.010,12 euros.
- Aid to death, when this occurs in sports practice, but without direct cause thereof, for a minimum amount of 1.803,04 euros.
- Expenses originated by the acquisition of orthopedic material for the cure of a sports accident (not prevention), for a minimum amount of 70% of the price of sale of the aforementioned orthopedic material to the public.
-Gastos originated in odonto-stomatology, for injuries in the mouth caused by sports accident. These expenses will be covered up to 240,40 euros.
- Expenses originated by transfer or evacuation of the injured from the place of the accident until their definitive entry into the hospitals arranged by the insurance policy, within the national territory.
- Medical assistance in centers or doctors arranged in all provinces of the national territory.
-Free choice of centers and doctors arranged throughout Spain.
Non-accidental injuries are not covered, such as, among others, the following:
- Non-traumatic tendinitis.
- Contractures, muscle pulls, overexertion.
- Degenerative injuries.
- Pathologies and degenerative, pre-existing, chronic, non-traumatic tendonitis, gonalgias or pain without traumatic origin (back pain, both knees, overexertion).
- In general, all those injuries that do not have a traumatic origin.
- Home rehabilitation expenses.
- Orthosis acquisition expenses.
- Traveling pharmacy expenses.
The organizer has taken out a civil liability
insurance policy in accordance to current legislation. All competitors will be
covered by an accident insurance policy.
Bicycles or motorized vehicles are strictly forbidden on the race, except for those belonging to the organizer. Official bicycles and motorized vehicles monitoring the race will carry visible identification at all times.
All competitors acknowledge and accept all the clauses of the rules and agree, on their honor, not to anticipate the start and to cover the full distance before crossing the finish line.